Re: WAS Re: debian 8 NOW game keyboard config

 Hi.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:00:11 -0400
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/11/2015 03:05 PM, Reco wrote:
> > dpkg-reconfigure -plow keyboard-configuration
>
> ric@iam:~$ sudo su -
> [sudo] password for ric:
> root@iam:~# dpkg-reconfigure -plow keyboard-configuration
> update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
> falling back to defaults
> update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
> falling back to defaults
> root@iam:~#
>
> Err... does that mean nothing happened?

Yes and no. Yes, because dpkg-reconfigure did not ask you any questions
(and with priority=low it should ask you at least some).
No, because debconf was run.

Unless you provide an output of 'strace -f dpkg-reconfigure -plow
keyboard-configuration' - that will remain a mystery.

> Is there a single file tucked  away someplace with the keyboard layout?
> Using XFCE desktop on Jessie with systemd enabled.

/etc/default/keyboard should have it all. Unless, of course, you have:

- some 'accessibility options' enabled (meaning - some application
'helpfully' stealing your Shift, Ctrl or Alt keypresses)
- overridden keyboard layout switch by means of XFCE
(xfce4-xkb-plugin)
- binded Ctrl keypresses for some hotkey (gtk-can-change-accels)
- using ibus (or some other Input Method™)
- used some systemd helper to override /etc/default/keyboard (localectl)

Basically, the more software you have installed - the more
possibilities you have the things to go haywire.

> Here's what happened:
>
> I was playing warzone2100 and got finger fumbled setting a group of
> trucks to group 5, (using ctrl 5).

So, long story short - you have misbehaving Ctrl key (possibly others
too) in any SDL1 application. Took 5 minutes (and several roundtrips
from their git to their wiki) to figure the dependencies of this
'warzone2100', and did I mention how I hate it when upstream tries their
best to hide dependencies?

Try replacing xfwm4 (aka stock XFCE4 window manager) with something
else, say, openbox. See how it goes then.

Reco