Small ARM file server (was: A question about deleting a big file structure from a big disk in Jessie: Why does this work? I'm really worried.)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> (BTW, I now use a Banana Pi connected via ethernet as a "drive
> enclosure" instead: it doesn't even consume more power than the
> external power supply of my previous enclosure).

I have been playing with the Banana Pi recently too.  It is quite a
nice little dual core ARM machine.  It runs stock Debian.  I haven't
had a chance to set up a SATA disk on it yet however.  I have only
been using the SD card just like the Raspberry Pi.  I have several of
the Raspberry Pis too and the Banana Pi is definitely a faster more
responsive system.

> Same here.  Only problem is that my Fit-PC2 (to which I need to connect
> that drive) only has 1 sata port and it's already got another drive.

I have been contemplating two Banana Pis.  Each with one SATA SSD.
Then mirror the two systems using DRBD.  That would be complete system
redundancy.  Not a really high performance system but probably quite
good for a home system.

> Another problem with eSata is the power

My good eSATA enclosure uses a separate power plug.

Bob