Re: ssh hangs for 5 seconds for a particular machine

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I see mdns there and immediately have an immune reaction due to many
> > problems with it before.  As you have already determined it is the
> > source of your current 5 second timeout.  I recommend purging
> > libnss-mdns from your system.  That will solve your problem.
>
> Why is it installed by default?

Instead of thinking that is a rhetorical question I will answer as
seriously as possible.

I can only think because at 5 seconds of delay most people don't
realize that it is causing that delay.  They just attribute the delay
to "stuff" and don't look to see why.  If they are doing one ssh login
it is not so noticeable.  If you are doing 100 ssh commands one after
the other than that is many minutes being stalled and extremely
noticeable and bad.  For those that don't notice the delay then adding
a potential feature by default seems attractive so why not?  The why
not is because everything has a cost and creeping featurism is a very
real and insidious problem.  Also if you look at the author of avahi
you will have another clue as to why it is installed by default.

Bob