Re: Installing Debian Jessie on an ACER Aspire V13 V3-371-337L

On 11/04/2015, Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be> wrote:
> hi the list,
>
> I just got a brand new ACER Aspire v13 and I will install a Debian Jessie on
> it.
>
> Just a small advice: boot in UEFI ou Legaacy mode ?
> Knowing Debian manages UEFI.
> Knowing I will trash Windows and send back the bill to Acer.
>
> Any other advices are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be>

I do not know whether Debian Jessie will have the required stuff to
allow it to be installed as a Secure Boot install with UEFI.

On my Acer "laptop" computers, the Inshite20 Setup Utility, in UEFI,
allows only Secure Boot boot option, and, does not include the stated
"Dual" boot mode, leaving Linux (Debian 7, and Ubuntu 14.04) top be
installed only in the Legacy, or, BIOS mode.

That is okay, as I have found MS Win8 to be more trouble than it is
worth, and so I leave the Acer "laptop" computers that are UEFI, to
boot into the Legacy BIOS system, wherein GRUB takes care of the
booting, and MS Win8 stays hidden in the background, with its
effluent. Unfortunately, on the latest Acer "laptop"; the E21, the
unmovable MS Win8 flies, prevent the partition from being shrunk to
less than about 270GB, leaving only about 230GB of the 500BGB HDD,
usable in Linux, but, that is enough to get by with on that system,
with the only installed Linux, being Debian 7.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."