Re: Book questions

On Friday 10 April 2015 10:28:24 Alexis wrote:
> Iain M Conochie <iain@thargoid.co.uk> writes:
> > As has been stated elsewhere in this thread, K&R The C
> > Programming Language is *the* reference text, so well worth it.
>
> i must say i'm hesitant to simply use the phrase "reference text"
> to refer to K&R, as it's not just a reference in the same way
> that, say, the Common Lisp HyperSpec is; it's also one of the best
> introductory expositions of a programming language i've yet read.

I don't and never have had a problem calling either K&R I I have both)
the reference, it is after all, written by the authors of the C
language. If it suffers in any regard, it can be a little too concise,
an occassional example to illustrate a point would be most welcome.

> Having said that, one thing i always felt was sorely lacking in
> K&R was a more thorough description of pointers. However, i feel
> that issue has now been addressed by Richard Reese's excellent
> "Understanding and Using C Pointers":

That has never been a problem once you understand that a pointer, even to
a 3 or 4 dimmensional array of data, is nothing more, nor less, than the
address in memory of the first element of that array. ALL other offsets
to other elements in that array are calculated, sometimes in the code
issued by the compiler, or occasionally in issueing the code to
calculate it on the fly.  Not often done as its a huge speed hit when it
does that.

> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028000.do
>

> Alexis.

Cheers, Gene Heskett