Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On 10/04/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On a new installation of Debian 7 on an Acer "laptop" computer with an
>> AMD Radeon R2 graphics adaptor, the external monitor does not work.
>>
>> The external monitor works with MS Win 7, with MS Win 8, with Debian
>> 6, and with Ununtu 12.04 and with Ubuntu 14.04.
>>
>> On another Acer "laptop" computer with Debian 7 installed, the
>> external monitor works with MS Win 8, and with Ubuntu 14.04, and not
>> with Debian 7. That computer has an nVidia graphica adaptor, that has
>> previously been mentioned on the list.
>>
>> Does Debian 7 work with external monitors?
>>

> Oh, and three other points.
>
> 1. It occurred to me, that maybe Debian 7 can't handle HDMI, so I
> replaced the HDMI lead to the monitor, with a VGA lead, and rebooted.
> No change.
>
> 2. On this new Debian 7 installation (from a 7.8.0 DVD), a component
> from the menu's, appears to be missing. On my Debian 6 desktop
> computer, from the menu's, is
> System -> Preferences -> Monitors
> which has the option "Detect monitors".
> Whilst the Acer V3-772G is unable to see the external monitor, as the
> Debian 7 installation on that system, cannot cope with the nVidia
> graphics adaptor, it does have that menu option, or an equivalent.
> I can not find that menu option (System -> Preferences -> Monitors) in
> this new Debian 7 installation.
> Both the Debian 7 installation on the Acer V3-772G, and the Debian 7
> installation on this new system; Acer E5-521-238Q, are used with the
> Gnome Classic interface.

On the Acer V3-772G, within Debian 7, in the Gnome Classic interface,
the path, from the menu's, is
Applications -> System Tools -> Preferences -> Monitor Settings

and that is missing from the Debian 7 installation on the Acer E5-521-238Q .

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."