Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On 09/04/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On a new installation of Debian 7 on an Acer "laptop" computer with an
> AMD Radeon R2 graphics adaptor, the external monitor does not work.
>
> The external monitor works with MS Win 7, with MS Win 8, with Debian
> 6, and with Ununtu 12.04 and with Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> On another Acer "laptop" computer with Debian 7 installed, the
> external monitor works with MS Win 8, and with Ubuntu 14.04, and not
> with Debian 7. That computer has an nVidia graphica adaptor, that has
> previously been mentioned on the list.
>
> Does Debian 7 work with external monitors?

Oh, and three other points.

1. It occurred to me, that maybe Debian 7 can't handle HDMI, so I
replaced the HDMI lead to the monitor, with a VGA lead, and rebooted.
No change.

2. On this new Debian 7 installation (from a 7.8.0 DVD), a component
from the menu's, appears to be missing. On my Debian 6 desktop
computer, from the menu's, is
System -> Preferences -> Monitors
which has the option "Detect monitors".
Whilst the Acer V3-772G is unable to see the external monitor, as the
Debian 7 installation on that system, cannot cope with the nVidia
graphics adaptor, it does have that menu option, or an equivalent.
I can not find that menu option (System -> Preferences -> Monitors) in
this new Debian 7 installation.
Both the Debian 7 installation on the Acer V3-772G, and the Debian 7
installation on this new system; Acer E5-521-238Q, are used with the
Gnome Classic interface.

3. The external monitor is a Dell ST2310, which appears to wotk okay
with all of the operating systems specified ib the original method
above, other than Debian 7.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale