Re: apt-offline usage

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 11:29:35AM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>     From: francois@avalenn.eu
>     Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 13:40:25 +0100
> > If I remember correctly but this is from memory from 3 or 4 years ago
> > it is possible to need two round-trip between networked and isolated
> > server :
> >
> > isolated$ apt-offline set --update ...
> > networked$ apt-offline get ...
> > isolated$ apt-offline install
> > isolated$ apt-offline set --install $package ...
> > networked$ apt-offline get ...
> > isolated$ apt-offline install ...
> > isolated$ apt-get install $package
>
> That installs $package with no difficulty.  Good!  Thanks!
>
> My understanding is that "apt-offline install <filename>.bundle"
> upgrades the cache of data needed for the upgrade but doesn't
> perform the upgrade.

apt-offline updates only the list of existing packages (cf. eg.
/var/lib/apt/lists) and the specific packages asked for with
"--install".

> "apt-get install <package>" upgrades a specific package.
> To upgrade all packages available from the bundle I tried "apt-get install *".
> * is expanded to files and directories in the current directory.
> Definitely not the intention.
>
> "apt-get upgrade" attempts to access network sources
> which also is not the intention.  How is an upgrade
> from the local cache invoked?

apt-get upgrade probably tries to get the packages themselves which it
knows from the package list but which apt-offline did not take.

It seems apt-offline has a specific option for full upgrades.
>From the man page :

       --upgrade Generate APT Database signature for package upgrade. This  is
                 the equivalent of using apt-get upgrade

So for upgrades potentially doing something like the following could
work :

 isolated$ apt-offline set --update ...
 networked$ apt-offline get ...
 isolated$ apt-offline install