Re: Book questions

Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> writes:

For a long time I've been meaning to learn more about regular expressions, and I found the following books: "Mastering Regular Expressions" and "Sed & awk", both from O'Reilly. Does anyone have any experience with these, and an opinion as to which I should start with?

i have the former, and highly recommend it. :-) i've not read the latter, so can't comment on it.

I also found the K&R book, "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike, and "UNIX Systems Programming for SVR4" from O'Reilly. Since I want to learn C I know I need to read the first of these, but I was wondering how the other two are, if anyone here has read them.

i have a copy of "The UNIX Programming Environment". i have in no way read it cover-to-cover, but some comments i can make on it are:

* i feel it's useful for cultivating the classic Unix 'toolkit' mindset, where one connects various programs in various ways to produce certain results.

* Being published in 1984, it discusses "/the/ shell" instead of "a shell", and thus doesn't cover the differences between the various shells now available, e.g. bash vs. zsh vs. fish vs. dash etc.

* The "Document Preparation" chapter feels somewhat esoteric given our current context of things like LaTeX, Pandoc, Scribus and so on.

Also, are there other books I might want to supplement these with?

i guess it depends on what other specific areas you're interested in .... i have a copy of O'Reilly's tome "Unix Power Tools", and still regularly find it very useful.

Alexis.