Re: No suspend in XFCE without systemd?

Op 08-04-15 om 23:45 schreef Brian:
> On Wed 08 Apr 2015 at 19:07:05 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>> I've made a Debian Jessie laptop for a customer, who does not want
>> systemd. Because of dependencies with systemd I don't have policykit
>> installed.
>>
>> When I do a "pm-suspend" as root the laptop comes into suspend state,
>> but in XFCE the options are grey.
>>
>> When I do "xfce4-power-manager --dump" then I see that it can do suspend
>> and hybernate, but is not authorized to do it. I think it will have to
>> do with the missing policykit.
>>
>> Does somebody know here more?
>
> Perhaps you can be more detailed about two things?
>
> 1. What does your customer mean by "does not want systemd""? If this a
>    matter of not wanting systemd as the init system Jessie already
>    accomodates this.

Not sure if "not wanting systemd as the init system" is enough for my
customer. Maybe she means: "I don't want the package systemd on my
computer", what means that logind is not possible too.
I speak her in a few days.

> 2. What steps did you take to accomodate his wishes?

I did install a normal installation with an XFCE desktop. Then I did:

--------
apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit sysvinit-utils
reboot
apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove systemd
echo -e 'Package: systemd\nPin: origin ""\nPin-Priority: -1' > \
  /etc/apt/preferences.d/systemd
--------

The "apt-get remove" step did remove much, too much, from the system, I
would not use that again. It removed e.g. lightdm and task-xfce-desktop,
but I could reinstall those packages without problems.

Some other packages what are removed: gvfs-daemons, colord, packagekit,
udisk2, policykit, hplip, network manager.

The most work was network manager, but I've replaced that with wicd. The
configuration of wifi was not easy, a few hints:

rfkill list
rfkill unblock all
iwconfig
ifconfig wlan0 up
find the configuration in wicd, and configure the wlan device.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/