Towards an "instructive" Debian installation

[background]
I date from when the 8085 was state of the art and the 026 a common input device. In this century I've been attracted to projects such as "Damn Small Linux", "Linux From Scratch" and readings about embedded Debian. I've settled on Debian for stability, breath of precompiled software, and customize-ability. I'm new to *nix. My learning style is read, experiment, question -- repeat as required. Some time back, after describing my vision of a "minimalist install", it was suggested that I investigate debootstrap.

[current project]
Using Debian Squeeze on a machine set aside for experimentation I've gone through several attempts to install Debian using debootstrap. I've had instructive failures. The root cause of many failures was the author of whichever article I was following at the time had silently *ASSUMED* "everybody knows ..." I hadn't ;/

I list some links I've found useful to varying degrees. Some don't reference debootstrap directly but illustrate side issues that come under the heading "everybody knows that".

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/debootstrap
http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=debootstrap&manpath=Debian+6.0+squeeze
http://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap
http://wiki.debian.org/EmDebian/CrossDebootstrap
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html
http://wiki.debian.org/deb
http://www.digriz.org.uk/debian/debootstrap
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux#Without_CD
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/how-to-install-debian-using-debootstrap-4175465295/
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/01/debootstrap-minimal-debian-ubuntu-installation/
http://askubuntu.com/questions/168158/how-do-i-add-more-variants-or-custom-packages-to-debootstrap

I hope others would find this list useful.

I would appreciate suggestions of other material I should be reading.