Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 14:30:05 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 01:39:46PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 03 April 2015 12:25:01 Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > Is there a local Linux User Group in your area? You could mention
> > > this, and I bet there would be someone who would be keen to see
> > > what the trouble is, i.e. sort it out in a hand holding manner or
> > > confirm that there is some peculiarity with what you are trying to
> > > achieve.
> >
> > I have a friend up the interstate about 10 miles running it, but he
> > is still running Fedora 6 the last time I checked on his main
> > machine, and one of the planetccrm setups on a couple more rigs as
> > he also has a for hire music production studio.
> >
> > He doesn't "fix" what isn't broken.
>
> OK, but he *might* be interested in this particular problem you're
> having and you could maybe look at over a couple of cold ones or a
> steer on spit one weekend, *wink* *wink*, know what I mean.
>
> Of course, you are going to have to set up an install ready to say,
> "Oh while you're here, you wouldn't know what might be the trouble
> with this ..." and volia, before you know it you've got his
> inquisitive nature overtaking him. :)

Gotta get him to come, he is part of the states Libertarian party crew,
and is generally committed to somewhere else when he has the time
separate from a friday night jam session of mostly hard rock with 6 or
so guys picking and grinning in his little studio.  Occasionally they'll
get one good enough to start the ADAT's & redo one or 2 songs.

> But, there are usually Linux User Groups in most areas.

Yeah, but this IS West Virginia, and 100 miles out in the boonies from
star city, aka Charleston. In this county seat town of about 7,000,
there are likely 100 linux machines running, but maybe 5 people who
actually know the ncurses screen they are ringing up the groceries on
while you are unloading the cart onto the belt is actually running
linux.  They don't know, don't care, as long as it works. No clue what
that teeny little penguin in one corner of the screen means. When you
try to educate them by pointing it out, and that its free, you get a
dumb look and a "what version of windows is that?".  Sigh.  The local
school board will not allow anything but windows (it has support is
their defense) on the premises, so the kids that ought to be exposed to
it are instead insulated from it. Needless to say this upsets me no end
because of the loss of potential coding talent to the area in general.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)