LVM/btrfs - Was: Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:15:42 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday 03 April 2015 05:35:49 Reco wrote:
> > But doing it correct way would probably require using LVM
> > (snapshots), and LVM is one of those things that are either used
> > from the start, or not used at all.
>
> Tried twice back when it was all the rage when fedora was fairly
> new. Both installs self-destructed in under 2 weeks. I've no clue if
> its ready for "prime time" today or not.  But haveing been twice
> burnt, I am wary and avoid it.  And of course I eventually got tired
> of being used for a guinea pig as its survival rates were relatively
> poor.

This ties in nicely with something I'm sitting here and wondering
about right now. I'm preparing to upgrade my home server to Jessie
today, and at the same time I want to set up something like LVM on the
system disk (2x250G in mdadm RAID1). The main reason is that I want
snapshots, and a secondary, nice-to-have-but-not-essential reason is
future resizing of volumes.

The alternative to LVM would be btrfs, which would give me RAID1 and
snapshots, plus subvolumes. I am familiar with mdadm, but I am *not*
familiar with LVM or btrfs in any way.

What would the experts here recommend? I've been searching for a while
now, but I haven't found anything recent that applies to both LVM and
btrfs. I know btrfs is a moving target, is it stable enough to use for
both it's RAID functionality and the rest? Or would I be better off
with mdadm and LVM? Which is better to work with?

If anyone would like to share their experiences, I would really
appreciate it.

TIA,

Petter

--