Re: Cool things to do with server

Stuart Longland wrote:
> Joris Bolsens wrote:
> >> Mail server,
> > I thought about this, but from what i understand, mail servers are
> > notoriously difficult to secure properly.

Not really.  They are notoriously infamous when people don't secure
them.  But securing them is quite easy.  If you install a Debian
packaged one then they will be secure by default.  Just don't break it
after that point.  :-)

> The only issue you might hit is port 25/tcp being blocked by your ISP.
> You may have to relay outbound email via their SMTP server.

That really only happens on home dynamic address networks on home
cable modems and that type of thing.  In that case most do block
outgoing port 25 as an anti-virus-spam mitigation.  I think those
should be the default.  I always block outgoing port 25 on any
business system I set up for the exactly the same reason.

Even if they weren't blocked I don't know anyone of my peers that
allow receiving email from an address in the dynamic IP ranges of home
cable modems.  The only mail from them is spam from virus infected
PCs.  Therefore even if they didn't block port 25 you would have
problems running a mail server from your home network because no one
else would receive email from you.  In order to be a mail server you
really, really, really need a static IP address with a clean
reputation.

Blocking outbound 25 doesn't affect users these days.  Almost everyone
except for us geeks are using a web browser for their email interface
these days.  A much smaller set use imap.  (I hate using the web
browser for email.  I still use a real mail user client.  I expect
this to continue.)

But if you rent a VM or collocated server from a hosting provider then
you will be getting a static IP address.  You will have a first class
entrance to the network.  You can then send mail without having port
25 blocked.  A reputable hosting service will not support spammers and
the reputation on your IP will be clean.

Bob