Re: can't start KDE with 2 monitorsz

On Friday 20 March 2015 04:14:13 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2015 05:09:01 Gene Heskett wrote:
[....]
> And why can't you use more than 2G memory with Wheezy?  I do!  Or are
> you running 32 bit hardware and is that the problem?
>
> Lisi

The boxes running the machines are Intel D525MW based, 64 bit dual core
Atom cpus.  Now out of production a year, they were pure magic for what
we wanted to do when they came out. Equipt by default with a single 2G
stick.

They of course aren't as busy as this one, and I have yet to see one of
them using swap.  Put that exact same kernel on this machine and its a
gig into swap just sitting here overnight collecting the mail.

The default kernel is purported to be a 32 bit-pae, but pae doesn't work.
The claim is made that the 64 bit stuff is not as fast as the 32 bit is
at operations critical to running dangerous machinery.

A 64 bit kernel has not ever been successfully patched by the RTAI
patches.  The guys who know, consider .001 seconds as being the absolute
maximum between detecting a problem and issuing a corrective action
including stopping it dead it its tracks.  My lathe for instance is
running that loop in .00025 second repetitions.  Nyquist considerations
for a stable spindle servo drive the higher speed for stability there.

Its my understanding that the xenomai patch does work, if the critical
high speed stuff is offloaded to a control card such as mesanet makes.
I have one of those cards in my lathes control box, and it works well and
I intend to put one in my milling machines box, but its next upgrade is
going to be replacing the 28 volt stepper motor supply with a 48 volt
version which will allow it to move considerable faster. Thats already
built, I just need to take a ladder up so I can reach the interface box,
pull it down and rebuild it.  That needs a warmer day so I can setup
shop on the shop buildings front deck.

Cheers Lisi, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)