Re: can't start KDE with 2 monitorsz

On Friday 20 March 2015 00:11:13 Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 11:37 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> Last I saw it still wasn't accelerated.
> >
> > Still isn't, Ric.
> >
> >> Two monitors you might need to
> >> set up randr.
> >
> > Rotsa ruck at that.
> >
> >> Good luck waiting on nouveau, which is like waiting on
> >> Godot.  :) Ric
> >
> > Actually, the wait is far more in the distro's reticence to keep up
> > with the X drivers.  The kernels nouveau support does advance, but
> > the X support does not.  As I said less than 24 hours ago in another
> > profanity laden post, I cannot run a new kernel on this wheezy
> > install because the wheezy X is too old, and the miss-match between
> > the X nouveau support and the kernels nouveau support is a display
> > speed (freezing for 30 seconds at a time while the sound is
> > stuttering 1/4 second on, 1/4 second off) killer, while the video
> > when it does restart, runs at 20K frames a sec to catch up.
> >
> > So I am stuck with a 3.4-9amd64 kernel as the newest I can run and
> > have a fighting chance of watching a news video from one of the
> > mainsleaze sites.  So I am waiting until Ubuntu 15.04.2 LTS or so,
> > when the guys at linuxcnc might put together a distro I can use WITH
> > more than 2G of memory. The 8g that isn't recognized in this
> > machine, running a 32 bit non-pae kernel, puts me a gigabyte into
> > swap in 24 hours, and we all know how fast that runs.
>
> Maybe create another partition, run that CNC program under windows so
> you can just install an nvidia driver to enjoy the Linux half?? My two
> GT-520 nvidia cards, with two gigs of vram apiece cost me about $70
> each and today they would be cheaper still. They run great.
>
> Here's a great SECRET which I suppose I can reveal now. At RedHat, in
> 2000, they had one machine running Windows hidden back in the locked
> RedHat "Hardware Approved" testing room. It ran the automatic CD
> duplicator and labeling machine for the old Boxed Set. There was no
> Linux equivalent to run the software required for the machine. So,
> they ran Windows to GET THE JOB DONE. I see no crime there. So, if
> that is what it takes, install Windows for the CNC chores so you can
> enjoy Linux as the desktop. To me, it computes! Plus, you'll live
> longer! :) Ric

Linuxcnc, in its simplest hardware form, uses the parport to run the
machinery.  But to do that with steppers, also the cheapest way to do it
with a known level of precision, needs to be able to drive that parport
with new data at sub 50 u-second periods, which because of the steppers
movement ballistics, needs to do that with an absolute minimum of wobble
in that timing. at 50 u-s, a 5 u-s wobble causes a working torque loss
of about 20%.  The motors "song" which should be a pretty pure tone,
turns into a Kenny Rogers growl.  And it stalls because a long period
between update pulses causes the motor to stop, or possible even bounce
backwards a degree or so, and then when the next pulse does come in, it
is incapable of re-acellerating in that 1.8 degrees of armature rotation
that is a full step, to the running speed which may be over 1000 rpms.
Net result is a stall of the axis motor that was moving the fastest when
the pause (usually caused by vender drivers for video cards locking out
the interrupts while they update the screen), and because the other
motors keep on running, a wrecked part.

Unfortunately windows does not have, nor would it allow the sub 2
microsecond access time to the hardware that linux, with the
appropriately RTAI patched kernel, does.  There is no linuxcnc version
ever, that runs on windows, and quite likely never will be such a beast.
So to me, windows is a problem to which there is no solution.

FWIW, it wasn't too long after that (your RedHat days), that a PITA named
J.S. did write cd burning software, followed perhaps 5 years later By
Seb. Trueg doing the first k3b, which in turn blew Nero into the next
drainage.

But then, as now, no distro ships the J.S. stuff because he's such a pain
personally and also refuses to use a gpl compatible license.  So they
ponied up the bucks for someone else to write it based on a legally
purchased copy of the writer api, and now he's irrevelent.  And we're
far better off.

But you knew that.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)