Re: can't start KDE with 2 monitorsz

On 03/19/2015 11:37 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Thursday 19 March 2015 21:38:15 Ric Moore wrote:
On 03/19/2015 09:19 PM, James wrote:
I want them to fix nouveau. :-)

Last I saw it still wasn't accelerated.

Still isn't, Ric.

Two monitors you might need to
set up randr.

Rotsa ruck at that.

Good luck waiting on nouveau, which is like waiting on
Godot.  :) Ric

Actually, the wait is far more in the distro's reticence to keep up with
the X drivers.  The kernels nouveau support does advance, but the X
support does not.  As I said less than 24 hours ago in another profanity
laden post, I cannot run a new kernel on this wheezy install because the
wheezy X is too old, and the miss-match between the X nouveau support
and the kernels nouveau support is a display speed (freezing for 30
seconds at a time while the sound is  stuttering 1/4 second on, 1/4
second off) killer, while the video when it does restart, runs at 20K
frames a sec to catch up.

So I am stuck with a 3.4-9amd64 kernel as the newest I can run and have a
fighting chance of watching a news video from one of the mainsleaze
sites.  So I am waiting until Ubuntu 15.04.2 LTS or so, when the guys at
linuxcnc might put together a distro I can use WITH more than 2G of
memory. The 8g that isn't recognized in this machine, running a 32 bit
non-pae kernel, puts me a gigabyte into swap in 24 hours, and we all
know how fast that runs.

Maybe create another partition, run that CNC program under windows so you can just install an nvidia driver to enjoy the Linux half?? My two GT-520 nvidia cards, with two gigs of vram apiece cost me about $70 each and today they would be cheaper still. They run great.

Here's a great SECRET which I suppose I can reveal now. At RedHat, in 2000, they had one machine running Windows hidden back in the locked RedHat "Hardware Approved" testing room. It ran the automatic CD duplicator and labeling machine for the old Boxed Set. There was no Linux equivalent to run the software required for the machine. So, they ran Windows to GET THE JOB DONE. I see no crime there. So, if that is what it takes, install Windows for the CNC chores so you can enjoy Linux as the desktop. To me, it computes! Plus, you'll live longer! :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html