Re: can't start KDE with 2 monitorsz

On Thursday 19 March 2015 21:38:15 Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 09:19 PM, James wrote:
> > I want them to fix nouveau. :-)
>
> Last I saw it still wasn't accelerated.

Still isn't, Ric.

> Two monitors you might need to
> set up randr.

Rotsa ruck at that.

> Good luck waiting on nouveau, which is like waiting on
> Godot.  :) Ric

Actually, the wait is far more in the distro's reticence to keep up with
the X drivers.  The kernels nouveau support does advance, but the X
support does not.  As I said less than 24 hours ago in another profanity
laden post, I cannot run a new kernel on this wheezy install because the
wheezy X is too old, and the miss-match between the X nouveau support
and the kernels nouveau support is a display speed (freezing for 30
seconds at a time while the sound is  stuttering 1/4 second on, 1/4
second off) killer, while the video when it does restart, runs at 20K
frames a sec to catch up.

So I am stuck with a 3.4-9amd64 kernel as the newest I can run and have a
fighting chance of watching a news video from one of the mainsleaze
sites.  So I am waiting until Ubuntu 15.04.2 LTS or so, when the guys at
linuxcnc might put together a distro I can use WITH more than 2G of
memory. The 8g that isn't recognized in this machine, running a 32 bit
non-pae kernel, puts me a gigabyte into swap in 24 hours, and we all
know how fast that runs.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)