Re: configuring exim4 smtp to use SSL

On Tue 17 Mar 2015 at 00:30:38 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> Quoting Gary Dale (garydale@torfree.net):
> > OK, following the doc at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mail.htm, I
> > could enter:
> > HELO <my domain>
>
> I always use EHLO but have no idea if it makes a difference.

EHLO allows the client to discover whether the server supports ESMTP. If
it does not it will revert to HELO behaviour.

> > MAIL FROM <account>@<mydomain>
> >
> > but things get interesting when I enter the rcpt to:
> >
> > RCPT TO: gary@extremeground.com
>
> Shouldn't that be in <> according to rfc2821?

Probably best to put them in, although there are servers which are not
too picky. Leaving off <> often gets an error message.

> > RENEGOTIATING
> > depth=2 C = US, ST = New Jersey, L = Jersey City, O = The USERTRUST
> > Network, CN = USERTrust RSA Certification Authority
> > verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
> > verify return:0
> >
> > After that, I can't enter DATA. It says 503 valid RCPT command must
> > precede DATA
>
> Yes, until you see a 250 from RCPT TO: it hasn't been accepted.
>
> > I've tried a few different RCPT TO: addresses but I get the same
> > result. Also tried using the ISP's mail server's domain in the HELO
> > with the same results.
> >
> > I tried creating a local certificate and updating the
> > exim4.conf.template with MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = yes but that didn't help
> > either.
>
> I don't think those verify items above are necessarily a problem in themselves.
> Your sequence of commands (with the changes I suggested) worked for me.

They can work for me too. But only when I'm on the same network as the
server. Then I suppose I'm trusted.

I hope the OP is diligently reading all the mails on -user. A couple
today in

might interest him.