Re: configuring exim4 smtp to use SSL

On 14/03/15 09:48 PM, David Wright wrote:
Quoting Gary Dale (garydale@torfree.net):
On 14/03/15 09:34 AM, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
Gary Dale wrote on 03/14/2015 06:00:
<snip>
I did add tls_on_connect_ports = 465 to exim4.conf.localmacros, which is
supposed to cover the SSL on connect issue.

Besides the dc_smarthost addition "::465", I added

    protocol = smtps

in the "transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost" section and didn't
change "tls_on_connect_ports". Don't know if this works when adding it in
"exim4.conf.localmacros" (maybe you try that first?). Also, don't forget to add
an appropriate entry in "passwd.client".
Ignore previous e-mail. It didn't work. Tried it with and without
the tls_on_connect_ports line in local_macros.

Also, the entry in passwd.client would be the same as for the
unencrypted connection, unless I'm missing something.
Is it worth telnetting the port to check that it supports what you
think it does. For example, from several years ago:

$ telnet smtp.lionunicorn.co.uk 25 ←←←←←
Trying 149.255.58.10...
Connected to smtp.lionunicorn.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 cloud11.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk ESMTP
ehlo me.here ←←←←←
250-cloud11.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
^] ←←←←←
telnet> quit ←←←←←
Connection closed.

I typed these lines. ←←←←←

Cheers,
David.
I can telnet to both 26 and 465. I get three 220 lines when I connect to port 26, including the ESMTP line, but not when I use port 465. When I connect to port 465, I get kicked out if I enter the EHLO or a USER command, etc..