Re: Cool things to do with server

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 04:38:27PM -0700, Joris Bolsens wrote:

> On 03/16/2015 02:59 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:23:43 -0700, Joris Bolsens wrote:
> >
> >> [snip...] I'm assuming they moved it to here:
> >> https://www.linode.com/docs/email/postfix/email-with-postfix-dovecot-
> >

> and-mysql
> >>

> > Yup, that's the one.  Gonna have to update my link then (wrote the
> > note in 2014, didn't think to check it before posting, sorry)
> >

> just a quick question, if I get an ssl cert for mail.mydomain.com does
> that mean my email addresses all have to be user@mail.mydomain.com or
> does that just mean that the mail server listens on mail.mydomain.com?

Technically, it depends on what the certificate is marked as certifying.
An "SSL Certificate" is, basically an x509 certificate which is marked
as certifying host names. Thus it can be used to secure the connection
to mail.example.com. You can also get x509 certificates which are markes
as certifying email addresses, but these would usually be referred to as
"S/MIME certificates" and would be used for signing/encrypting messages.