Re: Could do with some help - Wheezy, Kernel updated, now cannot boot

On 03/13/2015 12:34 AM, Ron Leach wrote:
Some progress. ...

1.  Please read this post:

2. It's been my experience that trying to "find the needle in the haystack" is an exercise in futility -- even if I do "fix" something and the machine appears to "work", other problems are sure to follow. I have accepted the fact that modern computing systems are too complex for me to fully understand and get all the details right. Therefore, I must rely upon the expertise of others, and devise approaches to assemble their work products correctly and repeatably using reliable tools and methods.

3. It's helpful to invest in a "workbench" machine with a reasonably recent motherboard and CPU, a goodly amount of RAM, a floppy disk drive, a CD/DVD/BluRay burner, two each HDD/SSD mobile dock bays for various drive interfaces and sizes, and various I/O connectors (PS/2, RS-232 serial, parallel, Gigabit, USB, Firewire, eSATA, audio, etc.).

4. It's helpful to invest in large HDD's for backups, images, and archives. I've used external HDD's in the past, but prefer internal HDD's in mobile dock drawers for their better performance, cooling, and physical protection. I have one in the workbench machine, one on-site, and one off-site. I periodically rsync the workbench disc to the on-site disc, and then swap the on-site and off-site discs.

At this point, I'd recommend:

1.  Archive all of your backups.

2. Individually image the partition tables and boot, swap, root, and data partitions of every drive in your RAID. Archive the images.

3. Install a new system drive, do a fresh install of your preferred operating system, take an image of the system drive, archive the image, get your RAID data partitions working again, install and configure your e-mail server software to work with the data on RAID, backup your data, image the system drive, archive the backup and image.

4.  Store copies of the archives off-site.

David