Re: Could do with some help - Wheezy, Kernel updated, now cannot boot

Some progress. The CDROM problem that was preventing the D7.7 install DVD from running in rescue mode was due to a defective USB DVD device. Replacing that enables the rescue mode of the install DVD to run properly. Rescue mode has assembled 7 raid partitions, and '/' was on the 2nd partition (/dev/md122). /dev/md121 - which I first tried - must be the boot partition that LILO is using (and I seem to recall that when I built the original Lenny RAID system the installer preferred to use LILO as the boot system, though I notice that recent Wheezy machine builds are using GRUB).

I now have a rescue shell on '/' where '/' has been mounted at /dev/md122. ls gives me the 1st level filesystem directory names that I expect to see. I tried running mc so that could copy '/' to some external device, but it couldn't be found; I think that may in part be because the installer has only mounted the '/' partition and not the other various partitions. I'll next look at fstab, and mount the remainder of the filesystem.

I'm still uncertain how to start the Wheezy system that is just sitting there. I'd like to be able to do that so as to check quickly that everything that should run is running ok - unless that's a bad thing to do at this stage.

I'm also uncertain how to find out what has gone wrong with the boot system and how to rebuild it, including whether to replace LILO with GRUB.

First, though, I'm going to mount the file systems and try to image things.

Suggestions are more than welcome,

regards, Ron