Re: No feedback from systemd / "systemctl stop X"... Nothing on stdout, nothing that `echo $?` can see...

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 12:34:59PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> But what's the point of such a symlink?

It does no harm, and if a beginner is following a tutorial that expects
/etc/httpd/log, it will still work.

> The binary is called apache2, so that I prefer /etc/apache2. Why use
> /etc/httpd, in particular assuming the fact that several HTTP servers can be
> installed on the machine?

The binary is called apache2 in Debian only because it was (re)named that by
the Debian maintainers at a time when you could co-install apache2 and apache
1.x. (However, my memory is poor but I think the apache1 packages had the
binary as 'apache' anyway, so this doesn't excuse that…)

The reason I prefer httpd is because that's the upstream name for it. Renaming
binaries to something different from upstream is a potential case of confusion
(and from experience dealing with many other web and systems admins, it *is* a
cause of confusion in this case.) IMHO, we (Debian maintainers) should make as
few changes to upstream as possible, and only where there's a clear benefit to
do so.

You can install several httpd servers on one machine, yes. If other httpd
servers also tried to use the httpd name, then (assuming they were command-line
compatible) the alternatives system exists for this situation. However, none of
the other web servers you might want to install call their binary httpd,
because apache got there first, and to do so would be pointless and confusing.

--
Jonathan Dowland