Re: No feedback from systemd / "systemctl stop X"... Nothing on stdout, nothing that `echo $?` can see...

On 2015-03-12 09:39:14 +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 01:44:23AM -0300, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> >  Nevertheless, I think that it is weird that systemd is very different
> > from what I've experienced in the past 20 years. For example, why the
> > service's configuration files are stored at
> > "/lib/systemd/system/*.service" and not directly under /etc? For God's
> > sake...
>
> This is by design, and working around limitations in RPM (afaik).

IMHO, this has some advantages: In particular, one can always know
the current defaults. It's similar to hardcoded configuration in
binaries anyway (though this is more clear).

Note also that dpkg also has limitations: merging configuration
changes in the package is not supported.

> > For example, with CentOS / RedHat, when you install "httpd", it puts a
> > symlink under /etc/httpd pointing to /var/log
>
> I don't see a problem with that. Upstream expect /etc/httpd/log, RH
> honour that but ensure the actual logs go to /var, as per FHS.

But what's the point of such a symlink?

> I prefer Red Hat's apache going to /etc/httpd over Debian's to
> /etc/apache2, personally…

The binary is called apache2, so that I prefer /etc/apache2. Why use
/etc/httpd, in particular assuming the fact that several HTTP servers
can be installed on the machine?