Re: Could do with some help - Wheezy, Kernel updated, now cannot boot

[Sorry I cannot cite or credit the help messages I'm responding to.]

There are around 6 partitions on these disks, I think separate /tmp, /var, maybe a separate /srv, I cannot recall exactly because this machine was first built with Lenny a few years ago. (And without any way to look at what's there I am working from memory.)

Imaging the disk is a good idea, there are some relatively complex config files in /etc; these are not backed up. Imaging will save them in case it does come down to a complete re-install. I think the only tool I have for imaging any partition(s) will be a live CD. I've no reason to think the RAID is broken, I think the kernel update just overwrote the LILO files while it was trying to update the initial boot files. I could dd the / partition to an SD card, I think. We've an NFS server as well - I'd quite like to image '/' to that, so that I can poke around in it (with a small benefit that that NFS filesystem is backed up regularly anyway).

'ls' in the simple shell I have reveals only the installer's own environment - it must be mounted on something derived from the 7.7.0 DVD. On entering this small shell, the installer announced that the hard disks were mounted on 'target' but there is no 'target' listed in 'ls' or that I can 'cd' to. There is a mount command available so I'll try to mount the hard drive partitions and see how far I get with that.

What about simply installing a new, modern GRUB? Might that be a possible way forward in this case, using its 'OS probe' facility to build its own configuration stuff? The motherboard is not a modern UEFI type, so it has the older type of BIOS.

The other thing I don't know how to do, and could do with some help on is:

If manage to mount the Wheezy '/' on '/existingdisk', say, how can I execute the Wheezy that's sitting there?

Very grateful for the responses, many thanks, indeed. It's approaching midnight here so I'll begin the imaging at first light. I'll check the list responses first, though.

regards, Ron