Re: iceweasal vs long urls. Long url wins, iceweasal doesn't

On 03/10/2015 at 09:59 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 March 2015 08:59:29 Brian wrote:
>
>> On Tue 10 Mar 2015 at 08:36:52 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>>> Using a distro based on wheezy, configured with a real time
>>> kernel, but not running it. Using a 64 bit 3.2.0 instead. And
>>> because the wheezy kmail is font broken, using TDE R14, where
>>> kmail Just Works(TM).
>>>
>>> Over on another list, I've a guy using dropbox to post some .png
>>> images of a circuit board he has designed.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I cannot see those images because dropbox is using
>>> %20 for spaces in the returned URL.  But between my clicking on
>>> the link in kmail 1.13.7, and iceweasal, the %20's are being
>>> converted to spaces by the time I see iceweasal's address bar
>>> contents, so of course I am looking at dropboxes fancy 404's page
>>> since spaces aren't allowed in a URL.
>>>
>>> This translation should not be taking place IMO.

I can't prove it at the moment without more digging than I want to
invest the time for, but I believe that either this is a purely cosmetic
issue (i.e. it's done only for display purposes), or the spaces should
and indeed must be translated back to %20 before being transmitted -
exactly _because_ a URL cannot contain a space.

I believe it's far more likely that the actual problem is somewhere
else.

>>> Is this something I can fix with an iceweasal about:config
>>> option? I have looked without seeing a likely suspect.
>>
>> Love it! :)
>
> Why?
>
>> You are using what is probably an ancient edition of a mail agent
>> on an unknown distribution and into the bargain you're running a DE
>> which does not have packages in Debian.
>
> I am tempted to call bs on this.
>
> The DE change was forced on me by the broken font handling in the
> kmail that is part  of wheezy.  So I am like the pollack looking for
> a car that works so he can get to work, and TDE does.
>
> I fussed about that font rendering in the wheezy version of kmail,
> right here on this list, which makes a version number like 3.3.7p1
> into an unreadable mess about 3 characters wide by piling them up on
> top of each other, and no one had a clue, and I don't believe it has
> ever been fixed.

Do you have a bug-report number for this? I'd be interested in looking
into the history a bit more.

> Backing up from the .7 release to the .5 release fixed that right
> up.

Above, you say that you're running kmail 1.13.7.

Here, you say you're running "the .5 release" of kmail, with the
implication that "the .7 release" is what is provided in wheezy.

However, according to 'apt-cache policy' on my computer, the version of
kmail in current stable (which is codenamed wheezy) is 4.4.11. That's
quite a version difference.

What exact version numbers are you working with, here?

> Why does that make me the b-a here?
>
>> Copy the URL directly into iceweasel.
>
> I can do that, but wheezy's much too critical mouse placement,
> demanding that the pointer is on the exact pixel means I have to do
> it several times to stand a chance of doing it right.

How are you going about doing the copying?

In my experience, there are two different paste buffers available in
Linux, which are accessed in two different ways.

One of them contains whatever text was last highlighted by the mouse,
and you can paste from it by middle-clicking in an application which
supports that.

The other contains whatever text you last issued an explicit "Copy"
command on (such as by highlighting text and pressing Ctrl-C, or
right-clicking on a link and selecting "Copy URL"), and you can paste
from it by pressing Ctrl-V.

Highlighting the exact text you need to copy, for the middle-click paste
buffer, is indeed somewhat finicky and can require what seems like
pixel-perfect mouse-cursor positioning. However, a "right-click and
select Copy URL" approach is nowhere near that finicky.

I don't use and am not familiar with kmail, but since it apparently
provides the ability to click on a link and have it be opened in an
external program, I would be very much surprised if it did not provide a
"Copy URL" feature like that.

> Complicated by any attempt to pre-clear the address bar so you can
> try the paste again causes the paste buffer to be overwritten by the
> contents of said malformed address bar. So instead of fixing it so
> one can edit it and fix it, you have to start from scratch, redoing
> the whole copy/paste. Neither is exactly user friendly.

This is only a problem if you're using the middle-click paste buffer.
Clicking into the address bar will highlight the existing URL, and will
therefore overwrite the contents of the middle-click paste buffer - but
it will not affect the contents of the Ctrl-V paste buffer.

I routinely right-click on a link from my mail client, click "Copy Link
Location", switch desktops to Iceweasel, open a new tab with Ctrl-T, and
hit Ctrl-V to paste the copied URL. It works flawlessly.

--
   The Wanderer