Re: iceweasal vs long urls. Long url wins, iceweasal doesn't

On Tuesday 10 March 2015 08:59:29 Brian wrote:
> On Tue 10 Mar 2015 at 08:36:52 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Using a distro based on wheezy, configured with a real time kernel,
> > but not running it. Using a 64 bit 3.2.0 instead. And because the
> > wheezy kmail is font broken, using TDE R14, where kmail Just
> > Works(TM).
> >
> > Over on another list, I've a guy using dropbox to post some .png
> > images of a circuit board he has designed.
> >
> > Unfortunately I cannot see those images because dropbox is using %20
> > for spaces in the returned URL.  But between my clicking on the link
> > in kmail 1.13.7, and iceweasal, the %20's are being converted to
> > spaces by the time I see iceweasal's address bar contents, so of
> > course I am looking at dropboxes fancy 404's page since spaces
> > aren't allowed in a URL.
> >
> > This translation should not be taking place IMO.
> >
> > Is this something I can fix with an iceweasal about:config option?
> > I have looked without seeing a likely suspect.
>
> Love it! :)

Why?

> You are using what is probably an ancient edition of a mail agent on
> an unknown distribution and into the bargain you're running a DE which
> does not have packages in Debian.

I am tempted to call bs on this.

The DE change was forced on me by the broken font handling in the kmail
that is part  of wheezy.  So I am like the pollack looking for a car
that works so he can get to work, and TDE does.

I fussed about that font rendering in the wheezy version of kmail, right
here on this list, which makes a version number like 3.3.7p1 into an
unreadable mess about 3 characters wide by piling them up on top of each
other, and no one had a clue, and I don't believe it has ever been
fixed.  Backing up from the .7 release to the .5 release fixed that
right up.

I tried to install wheezy, but wasn't able to install it without letting
it use the whole drive as one big / directory, the partitioner is broken
and will not let you proceed after you have partitioned  the drive the
way it should be, so the only way to install it to let it autopartition
the whole drive. No autopartition to it, you get a /, and a swap thats
2x the memory in the machine.  And its 500 megs into swap on an 8Gb
machine in 24 hours uptime!  But all I got for replies at the time were
defenses of a broken installer. Everyone when pressed claimed they could
do what I couldn't make it do, but no one suggested a method that
worked.  So I used a wheezy based distro whose installer Just Worked.

Why does that make me the b-a here?

> Copy the URL directly into iceweasel.

I can do that, but wheezy's much too critical mouse placement, demanding
that the pointer is on the exact pixel means I have to do it several
times to stand a chance of doing it right.  Complicated by any attempt
to pre-clear the address bar so you can try the paste again causes the
paste buffer to be overwritten by the contents of said malformed address
bar. So instead of fixing it so one can edit it and fix it, you have to
start from scratch, redoing the whole copy/paste. Neither is exactly
user friendly.

Thanks Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)