Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On Mon, Mar 09 2015,Brian  wrote:

> On Sun 08 Mar 2015 at 00:58:29 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

[snipped 20 lines]

> But what do we think about this as a procedure? [1]
>
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get -y upgrade
>   aptitude -y upgrade
>   apt-get -y dist-upgrade
>   aptitude -y dist-upgrade
>   apt-get -y autoremove
>
> When asked about it the response was [1]:
>
>   First apt-get upgrade does the easy upgrades.
>   Then aptitude upgrade does the slightly harder upgrades (new packages).
>   Then apt-get dist-upgrade does the easy dist-upgrades.
>   Then aptitude dist-upgrade does the harder dist-upgrades where manual
>   intervention via the GUI might be needed.
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780028

As someone who is a deb newbie following these posts, can the gurus
make up their collective minds and let forth the mantra invocation
that I need to invoke?  ;)

I just want a tidy ship and all I want is the One True Directive(TM).

 sivaram