Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On Tuesday 10 March 2015 03:53:29 Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> all I want is the One True Directive(TM)

Ubuntu?? ;-)

Sorry, Sivaram.  But this is Debian.  People don't usually use Debian if they
want the One True Directive!  We all have different opinions.  A lot depends
on which version you are using, and how very much it would matter if
something went wrong.

For Jessie, at present, I just use:

# aptitude update
# aptitude safe-upgrade
# aptitude full-upgrade

And that is because Jessie is still Testing and I don't do it often enough, so
there are a lot of updates when I do do it.

For fewer updates, so always for Wheezy, I just do:

# aptitude update
# aptitude full-upgrade

*So* *far* my systems have not blown up in my face.

Only you can know what you will feel comfortable with.  I believe in KISS.
Some people are only happy with complication.  I am only mildly paranoid.
Some people are paralytic with paranoia.  I'm afraid you have to choose your
own degree of paranoia and find out what you are comfortable with.

But if you want to be told what to do, and told the same thing by everybody,
don't use Debian!!

Lisi