Re: How to boot with the "irqpoll" option?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A log message in my /var/log/syslog file says:
>>
>> ... kernel: [   61.599288] irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the
>> "irqpoll" option)
>>
>> I imagine that booting with the "irqpoll" option is achieved by adding
>> a suitable entry to /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but this file clearly states
>> that it should not be edited directly, since it is generated
>> programmatically.
>>
>> I need more information to proceed, but I was not able to find any
>> documentation on how to boot "with the 'irqpoll' option", either
>> online, or by running
>>
>>     # find / -name man -type d -exec grep -irl irqpoll {} \;
>>
>> on my machine as root.
>>
>> I would be thankful for pointers to the relevant docs, or for a recipe
>> aimed to a grub-noob.
>

> OK, I found a solution.  I'll post it here, so that the next schlub
> doesn't have to waste so much time as I did looking for it:
>
>     % sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Here's a different, more direct, approach:

Reboot.  When the GRUB menu comes up, select a suitable (Linux)
option, but instead of pressing [RETURN], press 'e'.  This will bring
you to an editable screen.  Navigate to the line that begins with

    /boot/vmlinuz-...

Add ' irqpoll' at the end of this line, and then hit `Ctrl-x` to boot
the system.

This method has the disadvantage that the same procedure must be
followed every time one wants to boot with "irqpoll" enabled.  On the
other hand, enabling "irqpoll" is considered only a temporary measure,
so it's probably a good thing to keep its activation inconvenient.

kj