How to boot with the "irqpoll" option?

A log message in my /var/log/syslog file says:

... kernel: [   61.599288] irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the
"irqpoll" option)

I imagine that booting with the "irqpoll" option is achieved by adding
a suitable entry to /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but this file clearly states
that it should not be edited directly, since it is generated
programmatically.

I need more information to proceed, but I was not able to find any
documentation on how to boot "with the 'irqpoll' option", either
online, or by running

    # find / -name man -type d -exec grep -irl irqpoll {} \;

on my machine as root.

I would be thankful for pointers to the relevant docs, or for a recipe
aimed to a grub-noob.

kj

PS: From the output of `aptitude search` I get:

i   grub-common
i   grub-pc
i A grub-pc-bin
i A grub2-common