Re: How to boot with the "irqpoll" option?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:
> A log message in my /var/log/syslog file says:
>
> ... kernel: [   61.599288] irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the
> "irqpoll" option)
>
> I imagine that booting with the "irqpoll" option is achieved by adding
> a suitable entry to /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but this file clearly states
> that it should not be edited directly, since it is generated
> programmatically.
>
> I need more information to proceed, but I was not able to find any
> documentation on how to boot "with the 'irqpoll' option", either
> online, or by running
>
>     # find / -name man -type d -exec grep -irl irqpoll {} \;
>
> on my machine as root.
>
> I would be thankful for pointers to the relevant docs, or for a recipe
> aimed to a grub-noob.

OK, I found a solution.  I'll post it here, so that the next schlub
doesn't have to waste so much time as I did looking for it:

    % sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Change the line that sets the variable `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT` by
adding 'irqpoll' to it.  E.g. in my case, this entailed changing the
line

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet irqpoll"

After saving this updated file, run

    % sudo update-grub

This should result in the rewriting of the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Use, e.g.,

    % less /boot/grub/grub.cfg

to confirm that the irqpoll parameter has been added to one of the
GRUB menu options.

Cheers,

kj