Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

Ken Heard wrote:
> I see that RC1 of Jessie is now available.  I would consequently
> appreciate opinions as to whether Jessie is now or will be by mid
> April sufficiently stable for such installations, or should I install
> Wheezy instead and upgrade to Jessie when it is officially declared
> stable?
>
> I would much prefer the one step approach -- install Jessie within two
> months and live with non RC bugs for a while -- to the two step
> approach -- Wheezy now and upgrade to Jessie six months later more or
> less.  Perhaps when I get around to those installations there may be a
> further RC release of Jessie?

I am not really sure precisely what you are asking.  But I think from
the questions I will answer this way.

If you have compatible hardware I would install Wheezy today and then
immediately upgrade to Jessie.

The installer is always one of the last things to finish before
release.  It generally needs to be one of the last things because it
is reacting to changes in the release.  Therefore the typical thing is
to use the previous installer which is stable and well tested for the
installation and then upgrade.  Usually when we do this we don't
install a desktop.  We install a bare bones system and then upgrade
and then install the heavy bits of a desktop in the new system.

But that plan only works if the new system is old enough to be
supported by the previous installer's kernel.  If it is then great.
If it isn't then the older kernel not supporting newer hardware will
push you into some trouble.  In that case go ahead and try the new
installer.

Remember that there isn't anything very magic about the installer.  It
is just there to bootstrap your system.  All you need to do is to get
to the point that you can log into the new hardware.  And then the
tricky part may be getting networking.  Because often newer network
cards need the newest kernel drivers.  Once you can log in with
network access then you can install the rest of the system.

Having said that you might just want to go ahead and test the new
Jessie installer.  Can't hurt.  It will either work (install
successfully) or it won't.  Either way you will have learned something
and can plan for it.  If it fails then please make an installation
report with the details of the problems.

Just my 2 cents...  There are many ways to do it.

Bob