Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

Quoting Brian (ad44@cityscape.co.uk):
> On Wed 04 Mar 2015 at 16:13:03 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 04 March 2015 16:03:28 Bret Busby wrote:
> > > Neither that screen, nor the one that showed the partitions,
> > > identified using the UUID's (which, to a user like me, in the context
> > > of trying to restore the GRUB multi-OS selection bootloader, are
> > > meaningless, and, as useful as listing the subatomic particles, or the
> > > elements of the Periodic Table), showed the labels that had been set
> > > for the partitions, and so, did not show into which partition, each of
> > > the operating systems had been installed.
> >
> > So you had, in fact, set labels for the partitions?  And it just wasn't
> > showing them?
>
> I think he is saying the partitions were identified (as they are) but
> not with UUIDs or LABELs. It was an expectation.

Hmm. Well it's a long sentence again, but I thought he said they *were*
identified with UUIDs, the 32 character strings which he didn't
originally recognise as such. Going back a few postings, OP wrote:

"I also note that (after taking about an hour, to remove the Debian 7.8
installer iso "removable media" disk from the computer, that, like
Ubuntu, the Debian 7.6 LXDE LiveCD does not, using the file manager,
show Properties for partitions, and, in opening a partition, to show
its contents, whows at the top of the tab,
   as the partition identifier, a string about 32 characters long,
that has no relevance
or application, to the Debian Linux 7.8 installation iso image, rescue
mode, list of partitions, from which to select, to install the root
system."

Of course, I'm only guessing, not knowing what characters the
aforesaid strings were composed of.

Cheers,
David.