Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 20150228_1557-0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/28/2015 03:42 PM, Brian wrote:

> >>I often trust the opinion of our" hive-mind" more than I do a man
> >>page. I hate to blow up something working. :) Ric
> >
> >Very understandable. I do not think adding LABEL to your system would
> >particularly give you anything which do not have already.
> >
> >I use it with USB sticks which move from machine to machine, The UUID
> >may change but the LABEL doesn't. Debian always boots.
> >
> >Having said that, I do not think labelling with e2label would cause
> >your system to go into "blow up" mode and the UUID is is still there.
> >Changing means trusting my judgement. Ignoring the advice means you
> >can sleep well at nights.
>
> There is that to consider as well. Next time I install fresh might be a
> better time to play with labels! :) Ric

I can't recall for sure, but I think OP is concerned about LABELing the
swap partition. A swap partition is NOT an extN formatted region of
the block-special device. e2label fails to find a superblock on a swap
partition on my jessie machine and I'm not a bit surprised at learning
that ;-O

Also blkid displays a "PARTUUID" in addition to the familiar UUID for
all the partitions on the internal hard drive on my jessie machine.
This "PARTUUID" has fewer hex digits than a the 'real' UUID. It looks
as if there is a lot of new conventional to be learn by people who
have learned on Linux internals long ago. Or maybe I'm the last to
learn about this innovation.

Cheers,

--
Paul E Condon