Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 04/03/2015, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On 20150228_1557-0500, Ric Moore wrote:

>> >Very understandable. I do not think adding LABEL to your system would
>> >particularly give you anything which do not have already.
>> >
>> >I use it with USB sticks which move from machine to machine, The UUID
>> >may change but the LABEL doesn't. Debian always boots.
>> >
>> >Having said that, I do not think labelling with e2label would cause
>> >your system to go into "blow up" mode and the UUID is is still there.
>> >Changing means trusting my judgement. Ignoring the advice means you
>> >can sleep well at nights.
>>
>> There is that to consider as well. Next time I install fresh might be a
>> better time to play with labels! :) Ric
>
> I can't recall for sure, but I think OP is concerned about LABELing the
> swap partition. A swap partition is NOT an extN formatted region of
> the block-special device. e2label fails to find a superblock on a swap
> partition on my jessie machine and I'm not a bit surprised at learning
> that ;-O
>
> Also blkid displays a "PARTUUID" in addition to the familiar UUID for
> all the partitions on the internal hard drive on my jessie machine.
> This "PARTUUID" has fewer hex digits than a the 'real' UUID. It looks
> as if there is a lot of new conventional to be learn by people who
> have learned on Linux internals long ago. Or maybe I'm the last to
> learn about this innovation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

No, it was not about labelling the swap partition.

The original posting, was, I believe, seeking stepwise instructions
for recovery of the GRUB multi-OS selection bootloader, using the
Debian LiveCD.

The context from which the references to the labelling arose, related
to the partitions showing UUID's, rather than device names, and, not
showing the partition labels that had been set, thence, not indicating
into which partitions, the operating systems had been installed, or,
which had been, prior to the installation of the trojan horse
operating system, the partition that had the GRUB configuration
installed, for the reinstallation of the GRUB multi-OS selection
bootloader.

In trying to restore GRUB, a question was asked, that was something
like "Into which of the following partitions, do you want the root
system installed", and, the list there, was /dev/sda<x>, with no
partition labels.

Neither that screen, nor the one that showed the partitions,
identified using the UUID's (which, to a user like me, in the context
of trying to restore the GRUB multi-OS selection bootloader, are
meaningless, and, as useful as listing the subatomic particles, or the
elements of the Periodic Table), showed the labels that had been set
for the partitions, and so, did not show into which partition, each of
the operating systems had been installed.

So, the problem remains unresolved, and the issues involved, have been
buried by the other material that has been posted in the thread, and
it is all now confused.

And, as it has all become so complicated and difficult, with the
difficulties of life with which I have to deal, it all (trying to fix
the particular computer system, to get it operational again) has to
wait, until I can find time to deal with it further.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."