Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 3/4/15, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> With hot plugging and so on, you really can't get away with /dev/...
> any more unless you want to accidently reformat the wrong partition.
> And not everyone sets LABELs, so there's not much choice. As long as
> you don't clone a partition without changing the UUID, and you don't
> subvert UUID generation, they're unique and safe.
>
> And Grub is a prime candidate for their use, what with all the options
> for swapping drives around in the BIOS, partitions numbered in the
> wrong order etc.

*BINGO!* It sounds like you and I learned about their existence,
probably more like their application, in a similar way. For me, list
members here talked about them a couple times within a mass of emails
at that moment in time. All that stuck for me then was the term was
recognizable when that mile long value was finally likewise plopped
front and center by something I was doing. That was my *ah-ha* moment
for UUID.

I LOVE THEM now.. I use them in the few places where there's that
*_CHOICE_* because they are SO specific. And I use them for reasons
that I'm gathering are already being said, that specific-ness means
less chance of getting wires crossed somewhere.

As far as them working within GRUB, they work SO WELL within the GRUB
process that my system booted up into and then functioned
fabulously.... from within the wrong partition a few months back.

Think I mentioned this on here not too long ago. Something felt hinky
during that session so I nosed around. Turned out I was working in an
old partition instead of the a-sumed new install. I THINK how it went
was GRUB started with the correct partition then /etc/fstab pointed
the correct partition towards using a different, wrong one.

Fix was to simply change the UUID values in /etc/fstab. "lshw" (as
root) is my favorite tool for quickly determining UUIDs as necessary.
The reason is that lshw offers several different types of information
that let me *cognitively* grasp and therefore confidently confirm I
really am dealing with the correct partition at any given moment in
time.

Have fun, whichever *_CHOICE_* you make! :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* trying to catch up to speed.... while operating ~4 weeks behind *