Re: Moving from a "686-pae" kernel to "amd64"?

I did exactly that several years ago with no problem.

I installed an amd64 kernel at which point grub knew about both.
Changed default boot to the new kernel and ran for a while.  Once all
was well I uninstalled the pae kernel.

I did it mostly because I expect that amd64 is the dominant kernel in
the future.

Although I haven't needed to, I believe I could add 64 bits as a
foreign architecture if I wanted to run a 64 bit process.

What appears to be too hard to contemplate is changing the base
process architecture to 64 bits.