Re: Moving from a "686-pae" kernel to "amd64"?

Thank you I will use the 64 bit one.  Thanks again.
Moe

On 02/28/2015 05:51 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Linux-Fan wrote:
Maureen L Thomas wrote:
My new toshiba is a 64 bit amd system.  It has 6G of memory and 750G
hard drive.  Is the 64 bit system better or should I install the 32
bit.  I am using weezy.
I recommend you to install the 64 bit version so that a single process
is able to address more than two GiB of RAM (can be useful with data
compression like 7z and other software which can make use a lot of RAM).
Agreed.  6G and a pristine new system install then I would install an
amd64 64-bit system.

Actually even with 4G I usually install 64-bit anyway just for
consistency with the new direction everything is moving.  But as you
can see I do still have 32-bit systems and I am not converting them to
64-bit as a conversion.

Bob