Re: how to install previous version of Icedove (24.8.1)

On 02/28/2015 at 04:49 AM, Martin Vegter wrote:

> On 02/28/2015 01:18 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>> The only major negative change from 24.x to 31.x that I'm aware of
>> is the addressing component of the Compose dialog, which can be
>> reverted via userChrome.css changes.
>
> Exactly! The header of the compose dialog was bothering me. But
> using your css, I was able to revert almost everything back to the
> "24" look.
>
> That's fantastic. Thanks so much

You're quite welcome.

Note that there's somewhat-ongoing work, under I think that same bug, to
revise and revamp the Compose dialog again (partly as a way of
continuing the work of which these changes were the first step, and
partly in response to complaints about these changes); if and when those
new changes land, there's zero guarantee that this existing CSS will
continue to be effective, and it might even break things.

Just keep it in mind that if the Compose dialog gets broken when
upgrading to an even newer Icedove version later on, you should probably
try removing these userChrome entries as a first diagnostic step.

>> If the result doesn't work, or if it's too confusing to try to put
>> together the necessary CSS from the multiple snippets, let me know
>> and I can try to pull out the correct pieces from my own
>> userChrome.css and post them here. (Just posting the entire file
>> wouldn't do; I have several other changes, aimed at reverting
>> changes introduced since TB2.)
>
> I would very much like to see your userChrome.css, even if it
> contains many more changes. Perhaps people could find some other
> useful tweaks. I did not know so much can be done with
> userChrome.css.

It's very powerful, yes; the only difficulties are figuring out what the
elements you want to modify/remove are called, and dealing with cascade
effects if you want to override something as a default state but still
let other things override it again later.

My current userChrome.css is attached. Combined with a few prefs (some
of which are fairly obscure, and one of which I actually wrote - there's
another one I wrote which is due to land in TB38, I think), this reverts
99% of the IMO-undesirable UI changes made to Thunderbird after the time
of Thunderbird 2. The largest bulk of the changes are copied from the
discussion thread linked in comment 8 of that Bugzilla entry, and are
what I referred to on that bug as "Bozz's CSS".

I'm not entirely satisfied with the resulting header pane; it doesn't
include the message timestamp, which the TB2 one did. I haven't figured
out a reasonable way to add that via userChrome.css, however, and it
hasn't been worth the trouble for me to write an add-on for the purpose.

> For example, can I hide the "From" field entirely (I am only ever
> using one sender anyway, thus the field is useless). Also, is it
> possible to make the input fields with round edges?

Almost certainly so. I'd advise reading up on the appropriate bits of
CSS; the border-radius property is suggested immediately by a naive
Google search on related terms:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css3_borders.asp

--
   The Wanderer

/* Rearrange, reduce the size of, and eliminate clutter on the "message
 * headers" pane */

#header-view-toolbox, #otherActionsButton, #expandedBoxSpacer {
  display: none !important;
}

#expandedHeaderRows {
  padding-top: 0px !important;
}

.headerValue {
  line-height: 1.25em !important;
  padding: 0px !important;
}

#dateValueBox {
  display: none
}

/* Restore zebra-striping of messages in the thread pane */

#threadTree > treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
  background-color: -moz-oddtreerow;
}

/* Fix the To/CC/etc. portion of the TB31 compose UI */

/* ::::: From: msgIdentity box ::::: */

#msgIdentity {
   background-color: -moz-Field !important;
   transition: border .0s, background-color .0s !important;
   border-radius: 2px !important;
}

@media not all and (-moz-windows-default-theme) {
   #msgIdentity {
     -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
  }

  #msgIdentity:hover,
  #msgIdentity[focused="true"] {
     background-color: -moz-Field !important;
     -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
  }
}

/* ::::: To, Cc, Bcc button ::::: */

@media not all and (-moz-windows-default-theme) {
  .aw-menulist {
     margin-top: 0px !important;
     -moz-margin-end: 4px !important;
     border-width: 2px !important;
     -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight !important;
     background-color: rgba(128, 128, 128, .15) !important;
     transition: background-color .05s ease-in !important;
     border-radius: 2px !important;
  }

  .aw-menulist:hover {
     background-color: rgba(128, 128, 128, .3) !important;
  }

  .aw-menulist[open="true"] {
     background-color: rgba(128, 128, 128, .05) !important;
  }

  .aw-menulist:-moz-window-inactive {
     opacity: .7 !important;
  }
}

.aw-menulist > .menulist-label-box {
   margin: 1px 0 -1px 0 !important;
}

/* ::::: addressing widget ::::: */

#textcol-addressingWidget {
   background-color: -moz-Field !important;
   border: 1px solid ThreeDShadow !important;
   border-radius: 2px !important;
}

.textbox-addressingWidget {
   margin-bottom: -5px !important;
   margin-bottom: -2px !important;
   transition: border .0s, background-color .0s !important;
}

.dummy-row-cell:not(:first-child) {
   margin-bottom: 0px !important;
}

@media not all and (-moz-windows-default-theme) {
  .textbox-addressingWidget {
     background-color: transparent !important;
     border: 2px solid transparent !important;
     -moz-border-top-colors: transparent transparent !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: transparent transparent !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: #CACAFF   transparent !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: transparent transparent !important;
  }

  .dummy-row-cell:not(:first-child) {
     background-color: transparent !important;
     border: 2px solid transparent !important;
     -moz-border-top-colors: transparent transparent !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: transparent transparent !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: #CACAFF  transparent !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: transparent transparent !important;
  }

  .textbox-addressingWidget:hover,
  .textbox-addressingWidget[focused="true"] {
     background-color: transparent !important;
     -moz-border-top-colors: transparent transparent !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: transparent transparent !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: #CACAFF   transparent !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: transparent transparent !important;
  }
}

/* ::::: subject box ::::: */

#subject-box {
   margin-top: 1px !important;
}

#msgSubject {
   background-color: -moz-Field !important;
   transition: border .0s, background-color .0s !important;
   border-radius: 2px !important;
}

@media not all and (-moz-windows-default-theme) {
  #msgSubject {
     -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
  }

  #msgSubject:hover,
  #msgSubject[focused="true"] {
   background-color: -moz-Field !important;
     -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
     -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDLightShadow !important;
  }
}

#compose-toolbar-sizer {
   -moz-appearance: none !important;
   border-bottom: 1px solid ThreeDShadow;
}

#composeContentBox {
   box-shadow: none !important;
}

/* Turn off coloring the names of folders with new-and-unread messages as
 * blue */

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, biffState-NewMail, isServer-true),
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, newMessages-true) {
  color: black !important;
}

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, biffState-NewMail, isServer-true, selected, focus),
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, newMessages-true, selected, focus) {
  color: white !important;
}