Re: hosts file entry for 127.0.1.1

On 02/28/2015 03:50 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sat 28 Feb 2015 at 15:11:31 -0500, Philippe Clérié wrote:

What is the rationale for the /etc/hosts entry for 127.0.1.1?

You can start with

and then work backwards in time.

It tends to be annoying when using dnsmasq as a server for static hosts.

You'll have to be more specific.

Nothing major. Just that every so often when trying to reach a host being used as a DNS server with dnsmasq, I get hit with that address. It's just an annoyance and I was trying to understand the purpose of that assignment.

I've read through some of that thread you pointed to and to be honest, it's not at all clear what problem was being solved. I'm still not entirely convinced it's useful. But it's easily dealt with so... :-)

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>