Re: hosts file entry for 127.0.1.1

Joe wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> > Philippe Clérié wrote:
> > > What is the rationale for the /etc/hosts entry for 127.0.1.1?
> >
> > You can start with
> >
> >   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/07/msg00809.html
> >
> > and then work backwards in time.

Every scheme proposed and used solves one problem and creates a
different problem.  For me the 127.0.1.1 scheme solves most of the
problems and I like it the best for my random desktop and server
machines.

But it doesn't work for large CAD/EDA engineering environments that
run distributed processing.  Basically the classic legacy Unix
environment where IP addresses and hostnames are uniquely
interchangeable.  Software there asks, who am I?  They then pass the
IP address around.  When that is 127.0.1.1 things are not happy.  In
that type of environment it must be set to the host-external LAN IP
address.  It is basically a poor assumption on the software's part but
a lot of EDA/CAD code has been written that way.  Most of the time it
is easier to work around than to try to convince some company you are
paying six figures a license for to fix it.

But that doesn't work when the system is a multi-homed server with
multiple IP addresses.  Because no single IP address works on each of
the attached networks.

There is no single scheme that works for everyone.

> > > It tends to be annoying when using dnsmasq as a server for static
> > > hosts.
> >
> > You'll have to be more specific.
>
> It doesn't work with Windows 8, which refuses to accept 127.0.1.1 as
> a valid DHCP server IP address, and to be honest I can't say I blame
> it.

Excuse me?  Why is your DHCP server using 127.0.1.1?  How is that even
working at all?  That is completely wrong.  Something is wrong with
your dhcp server configuration.

I am using KVM on my machines.  I am using 127.0.1.1 on my machines.
I use the ISC DHCP server as well as the dnsmasq server and I am not
seeing the problem you describe anywhere.  What VM software are you
using?

> This is with Bind9 and the ISC DHCP server. And yes, 127.0.1.1 was
> being used as a source IP address during the DHCP negotiation, after
> the real server IP address had been used once.

Something is wrong with your dhcp server configuration.  Please say
more about it.  How is your networking set up?  Are you using a
network bridge?

Bob