Re: Moving from a "686-pae" kernel to "amd64"?

Sharon Kimble wrote:
> This setup is currently running a "3.16.0-4-686-pae" kernel. Is it a
> good idea to convert to a 64bit kernel, specifically
> "3.16.0-4-amd64"?

How much memory do you have in your system?

If the answer is 4G or less then there is no advantage.  Stay with the
32-bit kernel.  If the answer is 64G or more then yes you should
definitely use a 64-bit kernel.  If the answer is between 4G and 64G
then the answer is "it depends" and there are advantages and
disadvantages to both.

If you currently have a 32-bit system then I recommend staying there.
A 64-bit kernel won't have much advantage for a 32-bit userspace.  It
is rather a pain to change from 32-bit userland to 64-bit.  Not really
worth it.

Is your web browser exceeding 3G of ram image?

If the answer is yes then you should re-install to a 64-bit userland.
If the answer is no then stick with 32-bits.

> And if it is a good idea, how do I do it? Is it as simple as
> downloading the "3.16.0-4-amd64" kernel, reboot to it, and delete
> the "3.16.0-4-686-pae" kernel?

Simply install the linux-image-amd64 metapackage, let it drag in the
version numbered kernel, and then reboot to it.

  # uname -a
  Linux joseki 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u2 i686 GNU/Linux

  # apt-get install linux-image-amd64
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
    linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
  Suggested packages:
    linux-doc-3.2 debian-kernel-handbook
    linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 linux-image-amd64
  0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 23.4 MB of archives.
  After this operation, 105 MB of additional disk space will be used.
  Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Bob