Re: Is my disk too crowded ?

Charles Blair wrote:
>    I have been recently noticing that the find
> command is taking a long time, and my /usr (see df
> output below) is 73% full.  Should I do something?

73% is not very full.  The knee of the curve for performance fall-off
of a full disk usually occurs above 85%.  I wouldn't do anything.

What type of file system?  YOu can see this with the df -T option.

The find command calls stat(2) on every file.  Performance is strongly
dependent upon the number of files and not the size of the file nor
the amount of free space.  If your system is gathering up a lot of
little files then find will take longer to stat(2) each of those
files.

Strongly affecting system performance will be the amount of ram
available to provide file system buffer cache for the file system.
The tool I like the best to look at general system memory use is
'htop'.  Look at the "Mem" bar graph.

  http://hisham.hm/htop/index.php?page=screenshots

If you are suffering what seems like slow disk performance the problem
may be lack of sufficient ram to provide sufficient file system buffer
cache.

Bob