Re: File transfer

On 02/27/2015 12:49 AM, Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20150226_2246-0500, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
On 02/26/2015 09:55 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 02/25/2015 11:06 PM, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
I bought a new Toshiba lap top and want to copy the files from my old
Toshiba lap top to the new one.  They both have Debian, the latest
version, so can I just hook up usb to usb and copy that way? If so would
I need a certain command to do it?
Just a thought to make it easier since the old one's dvd burner no
longer works.
I suggest that you start with a full back up of both computers (with an
extra archival set stored off site).  Do you know how to do this?

David

The second machine is a clean install, actually a new install.  I have not
yet done it but ran into a problem getting to the CMOS on the new toshiba.
I do know how to do a back up but why back up a new install?
You asked for help at this list because you didn't know, for sure, how to
move data from the old computer to the new. It's clear to me that you have
gotten clear, step-by-step instructions, so ... something that you do may
be wrong for the very special case of a broken compute connected to a brand
new compute, which *MAY* allow the broken computer to clobber the system
files on the new computer. Do you have a way of re-installing on the new
computer if this happens? Are you sure? Or do you expect to take a damaged
computer back to the retailer who sold it to you and get a replacement.
Maybe check out that expectation with the retailer.

You asked for advice. I think you got some good advice that maybe you don't
want to hear. Maybe? The sad fact is that you cannot install Debian on a
computer that won't boot from an install CD because some drivers or whatever
have been damaged.

YMMV

OK, First of all the old computer is my Toshiba laptop that works just fine. The only thing wrong is the burner. This machine is 4 years old and I wanted a newer model. When all my files are transferred off of it it will be GIVEN to someone who needs a working computer.

Second, the new machine is also a Toshiba laptop just a newer model. I have had to download a different set of ISO's since the new machine is a 64 bit and the old one is 32 bit. That is what I was doing tonite. Tomorrow I will use USB sticks to copy my files to and install them on the new machine.

I don't know why you got snarky with me. I was unsure if I could use a usb cord from one to the other. After the explanation about master and slave my 64 year old brain kicked in and I understood why it could not be done. I have found a way and I appreciate everyone's help. I have stored this information in a file for future use since as the family matriarch and computer person I try my best to learn new stuff about how things work. Again thank you all.