Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On Wed 25 Feb 2015 at 14:00:58 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 20/02/2015, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> >
> > You could always download the standard debian-installer and use that
> > to boot rescue mode.  It is a very good option.
>
> In trying to use a standard Debian installer iso, and booting into
> rescue mode, I got toa screen "select partition into which to install
> the root system", or words to that effect.

That is a travesty of what it does say.

> I have 13 partitions, and that screen does not provide any
> information, such as labels or filesystem types, for the partitions,
> so I have to figure out which is the appropriate partition to use as
> the root system. It does not indicate anything like "A previous Debian
> installation was found in partition <x>, so you might want to use this
> partition."

You have already been given guidance on how to find the Debian partition
from the GRUB prompt.

> So, I have to remove the disk with that iso image, boot with a LiveCD
> disk, and, examine the partitions.

No you don't.

1. Switch to a console with ALT F2.

2. On my machine I would do

     ls -l /dev/sd*

   to get the recognised partitions.

3. Then I would mount each of them in turn

     mount /dev/sda5 /mnt

   and do

     cat /mnt/etc/issue

     umount /mnt

[Snip]

> Why does the Debian standard installation iso image, not include an
> "Abort installation" option (at each screen, although, even, a single
> instantiation, on the primary menu, would help, by rebooting the
> system into that menu, to do it, if that is the only way to access
> that option), that would enable ejection of the removable media with
> the iso image, instead of making this so difficult, to extract the
> removable media with the iso image?

Did you try the <Go Back> button? Or type "poweroff" or "reboot".