Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 20/02/2015, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
>> The Debian 7.60 LXDE LiveCD does not have an option to boot into rescue
>> mode.
>
> You could always download the standard debian-installer and use that
> to boot rescue mode.  It is a very good option.

In trying to use a standard Debian installer iso, and booting into
rescue mode, I got toa screen "select partition into which to install
the root system", or words to that effect.

I have 13 partitions, and that screen does not provide any
information, such as labels or filesystem types, for the partitions,
so I have to figure out which is the appropriate partition to use as
the root system. It does not indicate anything like "A previous Debian
installation was found in partition <x>, so you might want to use this
partition."

So, I have to remove the disk with that iso image, boot with a LiveCD
disk, and, examine the partitions.

The laptop computer, to which all of this appiles, whilst being (to
me) a fairly powerful computer, has an inferior optical disk drive,
that appears to be designed to be as diffiocult as possible, to
manually open, often taking uip to 20-30 minutes, to get it to open
manually, to remove or replace the removable optical disk.

Often, software, including operating system installation iso images,
include a software utility, that ejects the optical disk.

The Debian 7.8 installation iso image that I downloaded, both in the
rescue mode, and, in the main menu, does not include an option "Abort
installation", at any step that I encountered, wherein, an "Abort
installation" option, involves ejecting the removable media, and a
message "Remove the <removable media and press <ENTER> to reboot."

On this laptop PC, that appears designed to obstruct manual ejection
of removable media, software induced ejection of the optical removable
media, constistently works without any problem.

Why does the Debian standard installation iso image, not include an
"Abort installation" option (at each screen, although, even, a single
instantiation, on the primary menu, would help, by rebooting the
system into that menu, to do it, if that is the only way to access
that option), that would enable ejection of the removable media with
the iso image, instead of making this so difficult, to extract the
removable media with the iso image?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale