Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On 07/02/2015, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 07 Feb 2015 at 13:50:47 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>
>> Brian a écrit :
>> >
>> > 1. Boot in rescue mode.
>> >
>> > 2. Choose a root file system when you get to this screen.
>> >
>> > 3. Select 'Reinstall the GRUB boot loader."
>> >
>> > 4. Specify a device to install GRUB to.
>>
>> You don't specifiy a device when installing grub-efi. It installs in the
>> EFI system partition mounted on /boot/efi.
>
> Not having a GPT/UEFI capable machine to test with probably invalidates
> some of my advice. For the record: how does one handle this in rescue
> mode after (or instead of) step 3?

The Debian 7.60 LXDE LiveCD does not have an option to boot into rescue mode.

Booting with that disk into failsafe mode, does not provide any option
to restore GRUB.

Two options were displayed for Advanced mode in the disk boot menu;
check hardware and memtest.

The Ubuntu 14.04 LTS boot disk appears to also not have any option to
boot into rescue mode, or, when it is booted into Live mode, to
otherwise restore GRUB.

So, in the absence of any information to the contrary, it appears
that, with a GPT/UEFI system, GRUB can not be restored, so that, when
a defective operating system installation, irenders unusable, the GRUB
bootloader, the total system is destroyed, in all operating systems,
with the whole system needing to be rebuilt from scratch, operating
system by operating system.

<"Expletive deleted">

--
Bret Busby