Re: Is there a way to undo web browser changing desktop manager

On 13/02/2015, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-02-13, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That's very peculiar. Could you let us have the URL of the page, and
>>> screenshots of you desktop before and after the event?
>>>

>> I have booted my other Debian 6 LTS system, to try to do what you
>> want, with the "before and after"  things, but the Rekonq on the othe
>> system, behave differently, and refuses to accept changes to the
>> Rekonq settings, instead imposing some crap "speed dial" interface,
>> like the crappy Opera "speed dial" interface, that sits there, trying
>> to load. I can not change the settings in Rekonq, on that system, to
>> force it to open tabs with a blank page.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the above, nor I am sure that is has any
> relevance to your original question. Can you just open the same URL in
> the same browser on your other system? Is something preventing you from
> doing that?

You asked for screenshots of the "before and after" scenario's.

I can not restore the "before" GUI, to give screenshots of the
interface before the interface was changed, without rebooting the
system, assuming that rebooting will restore the interface that
existed before the unsolicited change.

I have, in the last hour or so, had a Rekonq crash, which I assume is
due to javascript possibly having been temporarily enabled, and not
remembered to disable the javascript after a particular action.

I note that an unexplained popup existed, when I saw the Rekonq crash
(I came back to the computer, after being away for about an hour - I
needed to deliver a printout of a PDF file, that was a bad file, for
which, I had to use the GIMP, to print the file, opening and printing,
each page of the file, separately - much faulty software, exists, such
as the software that created that bad PDF file) - javascript allows
unsolicited popups, regardless of how I configure web browser
settings, to disallow popups - they (the popups) are malware.

But, as Arora and Konqueror, do not save sessions, I want to wait
until I have dealt with everything that is open, or, for the next
system crash, whichever happens first, before rebooting the system

>> So, as the system (Debain 6 LTS) is incapable of having consistemt
>> interfaces across different systems, I will have to wait until the
>> next time that I have a system crash on this system, before providing
>> the "before and after" stuff, providing that, when the system crashes,
>> it goes back to the way that it was before the web browser changed the
>> GUI.
>
> By the way, why are you using Debian 6 LTS?
>

>From my experience, Debian 7 has neither the desired interface, nor,
the functionality, that Debian 6 has.

So far, the only advantage of Debian 7, over Debian 6, that I have
witnessed, is that Debian 7 is capable of running on a GPT/UEFI
system, whereas (I believe that) Debian 6 does not have that
capability. Although, I have yet to get the Debian 7 system
operational again, after PC-BSD 10.1.1 trashed the GRUB bootloader (as
mentioned in a previous thread).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale